Tis the season to season!

The trick to great food is seasoning. Not enough and it'll be bland. Too much and you might not be able to eat it. The spice cabinet can be your best friend (or worst enemy) when cooking.

Take a few minutes to organize your spice cabinet and it'll not only make your cooking more enjoyable, but it'll also make your food taste better when you're able to actually find the spice you need! I keep my spices alphabetized so they're at my fingertips when I need them. I have a small tiered shelf (that you can buy for a few bucks at Target or Wal-Mart) in my cabinet and it's perfect for my spices. And it looks all nice and organized when the cabinet is open.

Did you know that you're only supposed to keep your spices for 6 months before they begin to lose their flavor and freshness? I don't know about you, but I have a tough time remembering what I had for lunch yesterday let alone when I bought a spice. I write the date that I open it on the bottom of the bottle to help keep things straight.

Seasoning packets are great! If you don't use cumin or fajita seasoning often then don't buy bottles of them for just one recipe - they'll sit in your cabinet for a year and then be thrown away. The seasoning packets can be a great alternative. They're available for all types of food - you may be able to buy one seasoning packet for a few dollars instead of 3 different spices.

Happy seasoning!

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumble Digg

1 comments:

Vicki said...

Organization is my middle name! In addition to doing all the things you do (well, admittedly I need to start writing the date on my spices) I try to buy all the same brand - McCormick - of spices. Then the shelf looks even nicer and more organized when you look at it! All the spices are the same size and the labels are the same so it's even easier to find what you're looking for.

© 2011. FunnySpoon: Sassy Cooking Shortcuts is proudly powered by Blogger.
Blogger Template