Ten Things That Make Me Happy


I hopped over to my friend's blog today, Nucking Futs Mama, and saw she had this great post about 10 things that make her happy. And then I realized it was one of those chain letter scary things. Well, like her, I don't normally participate in chain letters and pretty much hate it when people hold things over my head, but I found this one to be interesting. So ... here's my ten (food) things that make me happy.


  1. Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yes, I'm starting with the good stuff. And I mean freshly baked, right out of the oven chocolate chip cookies. Served with ice cold milk. Heaven on earth.

  2. Tomatoes. My grandma turned me into a bit of a tomato snob when I was a little girl. I love them, in the summer, straight from the vine. With a teensy bit of salt.

  3. Champagne. It's my favorite little treat. You can make any ordinary day feel special with just a little bit of bubbly.

  4. Crusty Bread. It's simple, I know, but not always easy to find. I love the perfectly baked bread that's crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. Even better when it's served with cheese!

  5. Fresh Basil. I'm in love and a little obsessed with fresh basil. The smell is amazing. I could eat it every day and never get tired of it. I'm usually sad in the winter when my basil plants die and I can't have the fresh stuff right in my backyard.

  6. Seared Tuna. I don't eat much meat, but do enjoy seafood. And I could eat seared tuna for almost every meal. (So could my 4 year old son ... which might be a problem when he's 16, but for now we're just happy he's eating!!)

  7. Margaritas. I know I already listed champagne ... and some of you are probably looking up the number for AA, but it's really not necessary. I rarely drink margaritas, but when I do they make me really, REALLY happy! I like them on the rocks and with salt. And they need to be made by a professional ... someone who knows the right combo of mixers. I'm picky, but I don't drink them often so when I do they need to be good!

  8. Truffle Oil. This is my latest obsession. Truffle oil is delicious when drizzled on almost any veggie (probably not tomatoes), great on popcorn and fish. It gives a nice, light earthy flavor. It's sinful & heavenly. It's pricey so a little goes a long way and it's not a daily indulgence, but it certainly makes me happy when I get to cook with it!

  9. Avocado. I love avocados in everything - sliced, diced or by the spoonful. However, like truffle oil, a little goes a long way. I suppose I could probably say that about 80% of my list, couldn't I?

  10. Sushi. I was a late comer to the sushi world, but once I joined in (about 8 years ago) I have not looked back. And I can't believe I was scared of it for so long. There's only one real sushi joint where I live, but I try to go there as frequently as possible. It truly makes me happy.



So there you have it - ten (food) things that make me truly happy. As of today. They may change by next week, but as of today I'm standing by this list.

What things, edible or not, make you happy? Spread the love...

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumble Digg

1 comments:

Vicki said...

Oooh, fun! These things are way more fun when you're talking about food! Here's my Top 10:

1. Cheese. Any kind will do, but brie, feta, and Alouette in particular.

2. Carrots. Great as a snack by themselves and great to chop up and throw into basically anything. I use them as a diet trick - fill up on something really low calorie so you have room for the good stuff (see #1).

3. Champagne. I'm totally with Carrie on this. Mmm, bubbly.

4. Brownies. Gooey chocolatey goodness. Sold.

5. Cheeseburgers. I don't care how many calories they have, these babies are GOOD.

6. Mexican. Anything Mexican.

7. M&Ms. I'm not a big candy person but there's just something about M&Ms.

8. Roasted Red Peppers. I can find a way to add these to just about anything.

9. Coffee. I have a Pavlovian response to coffee - if you even mention the word I want a cup.

10. Fondue. This is kind of cheating since I already have cheese on the list, but anyone who knows me knows of my love for fondue, and knows that it deserves a mention of its own.

© 2011. FunnySpoon: Sassy Cooking Shortcuts is proudly powered by Blogger.
Blogger Template