Snacking that helps!

Looking for a few ways to stave off your cravings and to achieve/maintain those New Year's resolution health goals? Well, we're not dieticians or nutritionists so we don't pretend to have all the answers; however, we have found a few tips over the years to help us lose a few and keep them off!


  • An apple a day: It's true, an apple a day really does help. They're chock full of fiber, help lower LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) and are proven to reduce the risk of a number of cancers. AND they'll fill you up so you don't overeat. Try eating an apple as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack so you don't gorge at mealtime.

  • Celery? Yes, celery: We love to eat celery as a mid-afternoon snack with a little bit of peanut butter or light cream cheese. It's crunchy & filling so it provides all the impact of a chip with a fraction of the calories. PLUS it's full of vitamin C, known to help reduce blood pressure and a natural diuretic. Who knew celery could do all that good stuff for you?

  • Break-Fast: Have you heard the old adage: Eat breakfast like a queen, lunch like a princess and dinner like a pauper? Well, it's true. That's how you master your metabolism. I know most of us never have time for a full, sit down breakfast, but you've got to kickoff your day WITHIN ONE HOUR of waking with breakfast. And it should be packed with protein. I like to boil a bunch of eggs on Sunday so I have them at the ready for busy mornings.

  • Pre-dinner drag: I find myself dragging a bit in the late afternoon, pre-daycare pickup. However, it's too late to have coffee because it'll keep me up all night. I drink and Emergen-C on these days. It's PACKED with Vitamin C, B6 and B12 so it's bound to help my immune system and give me a natural energy boost to keep me going through dinner and bedtime. Plus with all the fantastic flavors they have I can trick myself into thinking I got a snack!

  • Drink!: No, we're not going to preach about drinking water - you already know that! We've found that drinking warm liquids - soups, decaf teas & coffees - in the mid afternoon help you feel satiated. If you get the 3pm muchies then drink some warm (low-cal) soup, broth or tea. It really works!



What are some of your tricks to get through the day without having a meltdown at the donut counter? C'mon. Share your magical tricks with the rest of us!

You should consult your physician before beginning any diet or weight loss program to discuss any health questions or concerns.

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumble Digg

1 comments:

Vicki said...

I've been doing all these things for a while and they REALLY work. The key to sticking with a diet is for it to not feel like a diet - it should just feel like this is the way you eat. You need to feel satisfied otherwise you risk bingeing and falling off the wagon. It's amazing how a little celery here, a drink of Emergen-C there, and a quick bowl of soup can really tide you over - and for me, I actually find myself looking forward to those treats!

© 2011. FunnySpoon: Sassy Cooking Shortcuts is proudly powered by Blogger.
Blogger Template